[OpenAFS] ubik problem in a mixed IBM AFS/OpenAFS environment

Jimmy Engelbrecht jimmy@e.kth.se
10 May 2004 11:30:12 +0200

"Nicolescu, Edward L" <edward@bnl.gov> writes:

> Hi everybody,
>
> here is the problematic configuration:
>
> 2 afs db servers,

You have 3 DB-servers at the current timne.

rafs01.rcf.bnl.gov
rafs02.rcf.bnl.gov
rafs03.rcf.bnl.gov

Do you want to disable 1 or 2 of them ?

> as expected, given the lower ip address. However, shutting down the db
> server processes on the IBM AFS machine,
> causes the other one to loose its ability to act as a sync site. This should
> not happen as the lowered ip machine

if you have 2 or 3  VLDB-servers configured and take down 1 or 2 of them
the last one will refuse to be sync-site, this is how it should work.

If you want only 1 DB-server which i do NOT recommend, you have to tell
that server by editing the cellservdb that it is alone.

> should be able to cast a 1/2 vote in its favor and break the tie. But this
> doesn't happen in the above configuration.
>
> Any ideas ? If needed, I can provide related udebug and rxdebug output.
> Thanks.

not necessary:

http://www.pdc.kth.se/cgi-bin/survey/ubik?130.199.6.52+130.199.6.69+130.199.6.51

/Jimmy