[OpenAFS] Running backup to an old Colorado Travan tape.

Ken Aaker kenaaker@silverbacksystems.com
Wed, 12 May 2004 13:06:51 -0500

This probably falls in the category of "well don't do that", but I
thought I'd ask anyway.

I have an OpenAFS system at work, and one at home that I do my
exploration work on. The system at work has a proper tape drive that I
run backup to. But the systems at home, (being an "accumulation of junk
hardware"(tm)), has an old HP Colorado 8GB IDE tape drive. I have the
drive set up to be used through ide-scsi, so it shows up as /dev/st0.

/dev/st0 works file for tar creation and extraction, but backup doesn't
even get started. As soon as backup starts using the drive, the system
starts logging timeout's. If I try to label a tape, the timed out
commands are Read TOC, Prevent/Allow Medium Removal, and Read Capacity.
And then I get to reboot, to clear the errors.

Ken Aaker