[OpenAFS] MailDir & Coda/AFS was: Practical no. of files per dir was: [OpenAFS] Max number of files in volume?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Mon, 17 May 2004 14:59:02 -0400

Mike Fedyk <mfedyk@matchmail.com> writes:

> BTW, why can't AFS allow hard links within a single volume?  Doesn't
> the client know where separate volumes are mounted in the /afs tree?

It would violate acl semantics.  I could link a file from a directory
where I only have 'l' access into a directory where I have 'rl' access
and then be able to read the file.  Or I could link it into a
directory where I have 'write' access and change the file.  Which
directory ACL is to be believed if you allow cross-directory links?

> Mike

-derek