[OpenAFS] Out of date entries in /afs directory

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Tue, 25 May 2004 11:46:43 -0400

"Wheeler, JF (Jonathan) " <J.F.Wheeler@rl.ac.uk> writes:

> Having inherited a rather neglected Transarc AFS system, I have a number of
> out-of-date entries in the /afs directory.  For example, there is:
>
> /afs/afs1.scri.fsu.edu
>
> Note that there is no entry for this site the CellServDB any more.  Is there
> any point in trying to remove such entries ?  If so, will a command like:
>
> cd /afs
> fs rm -d afs1.scri.fsu.edu
>
> a) be successful and b) not require issuing "vos release root.afs ?  The
> second point is important because I have found that the "vos release
> root.afs" command causes temporary loss of access to AFS on the client
> systems that are using it.

a) Yes, this should be successful, although you probably cannot do it
directly from /afs; you probably need to mount the RW root.afs
somewhere you can access it.

b) Yes, it will require a vos release.  It shouldn't cause temporary
loss of access unless you only have 1 fileserver (or you don't have
multiple replicas of root.afs, which you should).

-derek