[OpenAFS] Another Doubt -really newbie one...

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Wed, 26 May 2004 14:09:09 +0200

On Wednesday, May 26, 2004, at 01:33  PM, Luis Bivar Ramos wrote:

> Hope you can clarify my on this newbie question:
>
> In AFS I cannot export directories like in NFS, right?

No.
If you look into the "volumes" you won't even recognize your data.
You can access the data exclusively by the clients.

> Everything I do, has to be made in AFS Volumes, right?

Well, not really everything AFS has more than the "volumes", but I
think you'll understand.

> I have to create all the users accounts, and all the things I want to
> "share" in AFS volumes, so that they can be viewed and updated by all
> clients that have access to it, right?

Actually there is no "share" in AFS.
At least I won't know who's sharing with whom. That's just a "side
effect" of having a distributed file system with it's own access
control.

 From a user point of view think of AFS as a file system. A file system
like a windows partition where you have access from linux for whatever
reason.

 From the administrator perspective things are different.

Horst