[OpenAFS] Status of Openafs on OSX

Jimmy Engelbrecht jimmy@e.kth.se
29 May 2004 23:45:53 +0200

Matthew Cocker <matt@cs.auckland.ac.nz> writes:

> We have been running Openafs as a faculty storage solution for 3 years
> now and have been asked to expand this service to a university wide
> service. As part of this planning process I have to prepare a document
> about the status of the different client systems. So far I have a good
> handle on the state of windows and linux but Mac OSX 1.3.x seems to be
> a real problem.

MaxOS 10.3 is a real problem, yes.
10.2 worked fine though ...

but since we have some G5 macs that wont run 10.2 we are really really
unhappy.

> Well actually the cli and openafs seem to work fine but the
> finder/openafs interaction seems to be causing our Mac users lots of
> trouble.

not really, the client kernelpanic's sometimes.  even if this doesent
happen that frequently anymore in openafs 1.3.x compared to 1.2.x

we have also tried the arla-client which does not seem to crash but has the
same finderissues as openafs.

> Is there anyone using OSX 10.3.(>=3) and openafs and having a good
> experience via finder?

none that i know of, tell me if you hear about someone.

> Would a fake SMB share like windows make the OSX client less likely to
> break everytime a new point version of OSX is released?

i dont think this is a good idea, no.

/Jimmy