[OpenAFS] Read-only issues

Todd M. Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Mon, 01 Nov 2004 13:26:49 -0500

Derek Harkness wrote:
> Correct I'm replicating my home volumes.  My solution to not having
> read-write replication is just releasing the volumes every couple of
> minutes or whenever they need to be released.

[Sigh] This is not recommended.

> But if that isn't possible or not recommended then AFS is really
> quite useless for user home directories.

Actually, AFS is really quite usefull for user home directories for a
host of reasons you may not be aware of yet. But it doesn't do what
you're trying to do in this case.

> The whole we're moving to AFS was to offer fully
> redundant home space, if a server crashed the rw volumes on would go
> off-line and the users would switch to the read-only copies allowing
> them to at least read the files.

That would be a good solution if (1) servers were unreliable enough to
justify that kind of effort and (2) AFS worked that way. Neither of
those things is true.
    / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-962-5273  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
   /             My wife really likes to make pottery,            /
  /                but to me it's just kiln time.                /