[OpenAFS] Read-only issues

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 13:20:52 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Derek Harkness wrote:

> Correct I'm replicating my home volumes.  My solution to not having
> read-write replication is just releasing the volumes every couple of minutes
> or whenever they need to be released.  But if that isn't possible or not
> recommended then AFS is really quite useless for user home directories.

The people who have been using it for years would seem to negate that
point. Of course, you probably actually mean "to you", despite not saying
it.

Now, all that said, you can force the /afs/${cell}/usr/someuser
mountpoints to rw volumes, but the ro volumes will not show up if the rw
is unavailable.

> whole we're moving to AFS was to offer fully redundant home space, if a
> server crashed the rw volumes on would go off-line and the users would switch
> to the read-only copies allowing them to at least read the files.

It doesn't work that way.

I suppose you could change the mount point semantics by editing the client
source to make it work that way. But that's your call and has implications
which make it not generally suitable for distribution.