[OpenAFS] moving volumes that are being used

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 13:44:03 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Wes Chow wrote:

>> Yes, it's perfectly safe to move a volume while it's being used.
>> Clients may see a short "hang" while the volume is locked, but the
>> move can even happen while clients are writing to the volume.
>
> How long is the hang?  Specifically, if I have a large volume (300
> gigs), will the hang be however long it takes to transfer all the data?

No. A clone will be made, which takes a few seconds; that will be
transferred, then you will "hang" while any changes are pushed (which,
well, depends how hard you're changing the volume while it moves)