[OpenAFS] Move a IP from CellServer?

Hendrik Hoeth hendrik.hoeth@cern.ch
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:47:52 +0100

Thus spake Lars Schimmer (schimmer@cg.cs.tu-bs.de):

> The root.cell is a volume on the first database/fileserver, and ro
> copys of it on every fileserver we've got. Yes, it's independet of the
> databse servers, but it describes the cell and should be mounted RW on
> at least one server.

It's mounted the same way everywhere. That's global.

> Yes, free mounts as I like to. But if you mount the "head" of the
> cell, root.cell, RO everything else "under" it is RO. Or am I wrong?
> So the "head" has top be RW to get a RW mount in the tree, or?

Out root.cell is mounted RO. My home directory is mounted RW. And it's
definitely "under" root.cell ...

> But with the NEED to be RW, there could be only one volume for
> users-homdir-volume. And so there is no loadbalacing more.

Right. That's why we don't put all homedirs on the same fileserver. Poor
mans loadbalancing. Works pretty well, actually.

> At least this breaks with the original use for RO copies, and makes
> the RO interesting for backup (1 day or what the release cycle is).

Why don't you "vos backup" the volumes once a day -- then you have 24h
to write the backup volumes on tape/disk/DVD/punchcard.

> But IF there are a few more RO copies from the volume and the clients
> would read from RO, they could loadbalance the read

Like common software -- which doesn't need write access ...

Cheers,

     Hendrik

--
It's not the people who vote that count.
It's the people who count the votes.