[OpenAFS] Server preferences (conf file, better algorithm)

Jean-Marc Chaton jcn@austin.ibm.com
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:56:32 +0100

Hi all,

I'm now in front of a problem I can't treat elegantly.

My cell is split mainly between two distant sites with both sites having
clients, fileservers and dbservers. Until now as on the sites servers
and clients were on the same subnet, client were asking the right
servers (those on the same subnet) for RO volumes. But now clients and
subnets aren't on the same subnet (there are hence four subnets), and
clients happen sometime (dependeing on the randomness of the
serverprefs) to access the remote (and slow) one.

I know I can fix that by issuig  a 'fs setserverprefs' with the wanted
preferences but I'm not satisfied with that (clients are 90% winblows
box).

I'd like to setup the preferences on a client file without having to
execute a commande. Is it possible ?

How advanced is Derrick's BetterServerPreferences project:

    *  BetterServerPreferences? allow selectable continuous or on-demand
    *  server preferences in clients based on available information
    *  about Rx connection round trip times instead of classful
    *  networking approach currently used. Contact DerrickBrashear. Do
    *  this for vldb servers too, or is that a separate project?
    *  TedAnderson

--
Jean-Marc Chaton, Infra Team, IBM Paris Lab