[OpenAFS] Running OpenAFS in Vmware ESX host

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:26:28 -0500

Matthew Cocker <matt@cs.auckland.ac.nz> writes:

> Hi
>
> We are presently moving a lot of our infrastructure servers into
> Vmware ESX virtual machines. At the moment we are testing OpenAFS
> fileservers and DB as virtual machines (sans backend). Is anyone else
> tried this in production yet?

I have heard of people doing it, but frankly it doesn't buy you
anything unless you're trying to put multiple AFS cells onto the same
hardware.

The redundancy you get by having multiple AFS servers is obliterated
by VMware -- if the physical machine crashes you lose ALL the afs
servers on that host machine.  Not really the redundancy you're
looking for.  So, if you want the redundancy you need separate
physical machines anyways, at which point why run the AFS server in a
virtual machine?

-derek