[OpenAFS] Running OpenAFS in Vmware ESX host

Neulinger, Nathan nneul@umr.edu
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:31:38 -0600

No, we'll possibly look at it down the road, but couldn't afford the
infrastructure required to support vmotion. (Have to have hugely
expensive SAN hardware underneath.) When ESX adds support for iSCSI
devices, we'll likely look more into vMotion.=20

We're also not using it for fileservers, just db servers and other
stuff. Our standard AFS server platform is a PIII or P4, with three 185G
drives on a 4port 3ware card set up as mirror and hot spare.=20

Our environment is split between two buildings, and most of our vmware
space is set up with paired services where we have a server in each
building, using linux virtual server w/ keepalived for load balancing
and failover between the two vm's.=20

-- Nathan

University of Missouri - Rolla         Phone: (573) 341-6679
UMR Information Technology             Fax: (573) 341-4216
=20