[OpenAFS] Running OpenAFS in Vmware ESX host

Matthew Cocker matt@cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:58:36 +1300

Neulinger, Nathan wrote:
> No, we'll possibly look at it down the road, but couldn't afford the
> infrastructure required to support vmotion. (Have to have hugely
> expensive SAN hardware underneath.) When ESX adds support for iSCSI
> devices, we'll likely look more into vMotion.

We are due to replace some really badly performing Dell attached storage
in which we have had numerous disk failures in which the hardware
(enclosure backplane/raid cards) do not take the disk off-line (raid 5
sets). The first you know about the "bad" disk is your linux server
starting to complain about failed writes or other disk errors.
Unforunately often by the time someone can intervene the raid set is in
a real bad way (at which point what is the point of raid5).

Anyway it turned out cheaper to buy a IBM DS400 with 4.5TB of SCSI disk,
dual controllers (1Gb cache each) and a cisco 8 port FC switch (+2 iscsi
ports) than to replace all the attached storage we have. The problem
then is how to do everything with only 8 FC + 2 iscsi ports until we can
  afford to extend the fabric plus the fact that IBM will not support
Debian connecting to the SANs and software comes from a different budget
are all reason why we are looking so hard at ESX for all our servers, if
it is compatible.

Cheers

Matt