[OpenAFS] sysname=ppc_linux26: Problems compiling

Kevin openafs@gnosys.biz
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:31:43 -0500

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 16:25 -0500, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> On Sunday, November 21, 2004 23:24:43 +0100 Sergio Gelato
> <Sergio.Gelato@astro.su.se> wrote:
>
> >> Cannot determine sys_call_table status. assuming it isn't exported
> >
> > A quick look in /usr/src/linux gave me the impression (I'll double-check)
> > that gentoo-dev-sources does export this. Shows up as "D" in my
> > System.map.
>
> Irrelevant.  On 2.4, the method we use to detect whether a symbol is
> exported depends on CONFIG_MODVERISONS; otherwise it doesn't work.  On 2.6,
> it doesn't work ever.  In either case, if we can't tell if the symbol is
> exported at configure time, we have to (for now) assume it is not.

Thanks for your replies Sergio and Jeffrey.

I took Sergio's suggestion and searched through the -devel list.
Foolishly, I had previously limited my search to the the -info list.
Anyway, I found a very informative post in the -devel list by Manuel
Perez Ayala of the Facultad de Biblioteconomía y Documentación,
Universidad de Extremadura from July 28.

Manuel, thanks for your post.  It helped me get my system running.  I
followed your general guidance in modifying the files in a 1.3.74
release.  I decided against using the files you included in your .tar.gz
file becuase you were working with 1.3.65 and I'm using 1.3.74, but by
modifying most of the files you listed in your tar file (I just made new
entries for ppc_linux26 that were copies of the entries of ppc_linux24),
I got my system to compile and it seems to work as expected.  I have
only done client-type work with the resulting binaries, but initial
indications are that they work fine.  Now I just have to build aklog
somehow.  Has anyone done that recently?  Probably a question for a
separate post.  Manuel, have you seen any problems since your post in
July?

For the developers, my experience suggests that some simple
modifications to the files listed in
http://alcazaba.unex.es/~mperaya/openafs/openafs-ppc-linux26.tar.gz
would get the next release of OpenAFS to compile and run out of the box
on ppc_linux26 as well as whatever other systems you've already gotten
to work out of the box.  I assembled some diffs based on 1.3.74 that
seem to do this.  Also included are Gentoo ebuild files.  See
http://www.gnosys.us/openafs-ppc_linux26.ebuild.tar.gz if there's any
interest in this.  Many thanks for the work that has been done getting
OpenAFS to be functional with the 2.6 kernel.  I look forward to the
OpenAFS 1.4 release.

-Kevin
http://www.gnosys.us