[OpenAFS] Error: 11862791 AFS service may not have started - Solved

Ajeet Nankani ajeetnankani@gmx.net
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:34:59 +0100

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> NetBios over TCP/IP is required for SMB/CIFS operations.
> NetBios over TCP/IP should not need to be active on the public
> LAN adapter; it only needs to be active on the Microsoft Loopback

Netbios over TCP/IP is already enabled on AFS (MS Loopback adapter),
but in my case i still have to enable it also on public LAN adapter
otherwise it does not work and gives the same error.

Also Binding in my AFS configuration was set to Default NIC adapter,
and even when i set binding to AFS(MS Loopback adapter), the situation
remains same as described above.

Here are the results of few test i have done

Test1
Public LAN Netbios over TCP/IP > disabled
Binding in AFS configuration > Default or AFS Loopback
AFS Loopback Netbios over TCP/IP > enabled or disabled

Result =
The AFS Client was unable to obtain tokens as xxx in cell xxx
Error: 11862791 (AFS service may not have started)

Test2
Public LAN Netbios over TCP/IP > enabled
Binding in AFS configuration > Default or AFS Loopback
AFS Loopback Netbios over TCP/IP > enabled

Result =
got token and able to share files on afs

Test3
Public LAN Netbios over TCP/IP > enabled
Binding in AFS configuration > AFS Loopback
AFS Loopback Netbios over TCP/IP > disabled

Result =
Program Error
afsd_service.ex.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.
you will need to restart program.

here even though the AFS client is running but when i try to start AFS
service then the above error dialogue comes.

Test4
Public LAN Netbios over TCP/IP > enabled
Binding in AFS configuration > Default
AFS Loopback Netbios over TCP/IP > disabled

Result =
got token but not able to share any files as AFS gives error message
that it is not able to map drives to share. "Error mapping network drive"

Thanks.

-ajeet.