[OpenAFS] Error: 11862791 AFS service may not have started - Solved

Evan Anderson jrh-afs@lore.dartmouth.edu
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:46:30 -0500

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> NetBios over TCP/IP is required for SMB/CIFS operations.
> NetBios over TCP/IP should not need to be active on the public
> LAN adapter; it only needs to be active on the Microsoft Loopback
> adapter.  If NETBIOS services are not available, then the AFS Client
> Service cannot publish the NETBIOS name "AFS" which is used in the
> UNC path
>
>     \\AFS\cellname\path
>
> when accessing resources within AFS.
>
> Jeffrey Altman

I can confirm that I also get the same error if "Client for Microsoft Networks"
is not enabled on the Microsoft Loopback Adapter (named "AFS" in my case by the
installer).  This caused me a little bit of consternation yesterday until I
realized that that service was turned off.  (I have it turned off on my external
adapter because I don't want to be listening for it.  I've already firewalled
it, so there shouldn't be anything there, but I don't trust the XP firewall
farther than I can throw it.)

So, for the archives:

If the "Client for Microsoft Networks" is disabled on the loopback adapter, any
attempt to get tokens fails with (for me) the following two dialogs:

KTC_NOCM: The service, Transarc AFS Daemon, most likely is not started!
(0xb50307) (ktc_GetToken() failed)

and:

The AFS Client was unable to obtain tokens as argent in cell thayer.dartmouth.edu.

Error: 11862791 (Unknown code KTC 7)

Hope this helps someone else.  :-)