FW: [OpenAFS] Windows XP problems getting an AFS token when logged into a Kerberos Realm

Stephen Stoops Stephen.Stoops@asu.edu
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:38:41 -0700

This is also happening in XP Pro and over all machines that I have
checked on campus.  I am able to mount Printer and resource shares with
no problem.  There is not a large number of handles being used.=20

I have also restarted the WS using MSCONFIG and disabled all non
essential OS apps (antivirus, etc...) except for AFS. Still no token.
Same behavior.

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org
[mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Altman
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 8:00 PM
To: Greg Wilson
Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: FW: [OpenAFS] Windows XP problems getting an AFS token when
logged into a Kerberos Realm

Searching for this error in Google will produce tens of thousands
of results.  There are no definitive solutions.  For some people
uninstalling their anti-virus software (usually norton) removes the
problem.  For others re-installing the latest service pack for 2000
or XP does the trick.  The best guess that folks in the news groups
have is that the missing resource are handles.  Run taskmanager
and use "Select Columns" to allow you to view the allocated handles
for each process.  See if you have any applications with an unusually
large number.

In any case, the CreateFile() call in the pioctl() function is failing
without any communication occurring to the AFS Client's SMB server
so there is little that I can do from the AFS perspective.  You would
have the same problem attempting to mount an SMB file or printer
share from another windows workstation.

Jeffrey Altman