[OpenAFS] How to stop the access to an AFS volume ?

Rainer Toebbicke rtb@pclella.cern.ch
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:44:03 +0200

Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, giovanni bracco wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to prevent users to access a selected AFS volume for
>> some time
>> without affecting the access to the other volumes on the same or on other
>> file servers & partitions?
>>

> You can use the hidden vos offline command.

Note that this (together with Bob's suggestion to rename the volume)
will be reflected to the application.

What I sometimes miss: a 'vos vbusy' command, making clients receive
VBUSY and causing them to retry after a few seconds. Could be useful on
fileservers hammered for a single volume causing them to run into
hundreds of calls waiting for a thread. Or if you quickly need to
power-cycle a RAID controller with only a few volumes on it.

We run with a mod to the fileserver that supports '-busyat 0' which gets
started in cases disks/controllers need a short maintenance. That way
applications hang for a while but at least don't fail.  Still, the
double stop/restart required for this is messy and the granularity too
coarse.

Rainer Toebbicke    http://cern.ch/rtb     -or-    rtb@mail.cern.ch
European Laboratory for Particle Physics(CERN) - Geneva, Switzerland
Phone: +41 22 767 8985       Fax: +41 22 767 7155