[OpenAFS] How to stop the access to an AFS volume ?

giovanni bracco bracco@frascati.enea.it
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:29:59 +0200

> giovanni bracco wrote:
> > In my AFS cell many volumes have an anomalous Vol ID: it can be seen in
> > the previous example: ID=2258391753

> The Windows client uses "unsigned long" for all volume IDs.  The Unix
> client should probably switch to using "afs_uint32".
>
> Jeffrey Altman

I have not looked in detail to AFS code but volumes with ID exceeding the
signed integer capability have only partial functionality in AFS:
for example if they are located in a file server with standard OpenAFS
software  (e.g. Linux) it is impossible to move them and also vos examine
command does not work properly:

#vos examine user.bracco_pro_00

Could not fetch the information about volume 2258391565 from the server
: No such device
Volume does not exist on server bracco.frascati.enea.it as indicated by the
VLDB

#vos move user.bracco_pro_00 bracco.frascati.enea.it a 43p.frascati.enea.it a

Could not fetch the information about volume 2258391565 from the server
: No such device
vos:cannot access volume 2258391565

On the contrary volumes can be created and removed without problems, even with
anomalous ID numbers, so probably the ID number has slightly different
definition in different component of the package.

GIovanni

--
Giovanni Bracco
ENEA INFO