[OpenAFS] how do clients determine server IP addresses?

pll+afs@permabit.com pll+afs@permabit.com
Wed, 08 Sep 2004 13:52:02 -0400

Hi all,

I have a an AFS cell here which is behind a firewall, which is using
NAT.  My firewall has rules to allow packets to pass between the
internet and the AFS servers (in theory :)

Because we're using NAT (something I've *got* to change!) the
addresses of the servers from the internet are different than from
our internal LAN.

I've set up the CellServDB file to have the correct external IP
addresses for the AFS servers in them.  However, when I try to access
volumes in our cell, I eventually get a timeout claiming it lost the
connection with the server, and then displays an IP address.  The
address, though, is the *internal* IP of the server.

So, I guess the question I have is this.  Is there some way a client
queries an AFS server for the IP address of the file server within
the AFS protocol, or does a DNS lookup on something like an SRV
record ?  I'm guessing there must be, since the client somehow
obtained a correct internal IP address despite me never typing that
IP into it for anything.

Thanks,
--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE