[OpenAFS] how do clients determine server IP addresses?

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:12:29 +0200

On Sep 8, 2004, at 7:52 PM, pll+afs@permabit.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a an AFS cell here which is behind a firewall, which is using
> NAT.  My firewall has rules to allow packets to pass between the
> internet and the AFS servers (in theory :)

What is inside and what outside??
If you have more than on AFS server behind that firewall how would you
like to communicate with that servers??

> Because we're using NAT (something I've *got* to change!) the
> addresses of the servers from the internet are different than from
> our internal LAN.
>
> I've set up the CellServDB file to have the correct external IP
> addresses for the AFS servers in them.  However, when I try to access
> volumes in our cell, I eventually get a timeout claiming it lost the
> connection with the server, and then displays an IP address.  The
> address, though, is the *internal* IP of the server.
>
> So, I guess the question I have is this.  Is there some way a client
> queries an AFS server for the IP address of the file server within
> the AFS protocol, or does a DNS lookup on something like an SRV
> record ?  I'm guessing there must be, since the client somehow
> obtained a correct internal IP address despite me never typing that
> IP into it for anything.

If there was, how should that solve your problem??
Can you be a little more specific on who's querying what??
Maybe I just don't understand the problem or I don't see a solution in
your proposal.

Horst