[OpenAFS] how do clients determine server IP addresses?

Systems Administration sysadmin@contrailservices.com
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:28:34 -0600

On Sep 8, 2004, at 11:52 AM, pll+afs@permabit.com wrote:
> So, I guess the question I have is this.  Is there some way a client
> queries an AFS server for the IP address of the file server within

What does your CellServDB file list for your AFS domain?  Are you
supplying names or IPs?  How are you identifying the fileservers to
VOS?

The AFS volume server matches the server identity to a volume record,
if you supply a hostname during volume creation it will perform a DNS
lookup and use the IP address returned.  If that is incorrect you can
change the associated IP address in the VOS database.

vos listaddrs
vos changeaddr

Your method of access is probably the cause of the conflict, when the
client attempts to access a volume it queries the VOS server and is
receiving the IP address that was looked up at volume creation time,
from your question I'm guessing that its an internal IP.  If you cant
change anything else you can alter the VOS database to use the world
accessible IP addresses in the volume records, but your internal hosts
will then route their AFS communications through your firewall, if it
can handle the load your up.