[OpenAFS] clarification on client caches

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:22:54 -0400

Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu> writes:

>   Why would it need to be conditional on AFS_64BIT_ENV?  Linux supports
>   the "long long" 64-bit integer type natively in the 32bit OS just fine.
>
> I'm amazed you would say that.  You of all people should know that linux is
> not the only OS in the world.  It's not even the only OS that OpenAFS runs
> on.

Sorry, *BSD supports it, Solaris supports it, MacOS supports it, I'm
fairly sure windows supports it, too..  So, MANY of the OSes out there
support it...  I can't claim that ALL the supported OSes have a native
64-bit integer type, but I would bet a dollar to a dime that a
majority of them do.

My confusion is about what AFS_64BIT_ENV actually signifies.  Does it
mean "we have a 64-bit integer type"?  Or "we support 64-bit file
lengths"?  Or "this is a native 64-bit OS?"  Or does it mean something
completely different?

-derek