[OpenAFS] clarification on client caches

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:32:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Sorry, *BSD supports it, Solaris supports it, MacOS supports it, I'm
> fairly sure windows supports it, too..  So, MANY of the OSes out there
> support it...  I can't claim that ALL the supported OSes have a native
> 64-bit integer type, but I would bet a dollar to a dime that a
> majority of them do.

Yes. Which is why it's defined for them, also, in 1.3.x at least.

> My confusion is about what AFS_64BIT_ENV actually signifies.  Does it
> mean "we have a 64-bit integer type"?  Or "we support 64-bit file
> lengths"?  Or "this is a native 64-bit OS?"  Or does it mean something
> completely different?

AFS_64BIT_CLIENT is largefile
AFS_64BIT_ENV is "there is some 64 bit integer type"

unfortunate. but i don't think i chose the names. i was just too dumb to
realize this was going to happen.