[Fwd: Re: [OpenAFS] 2 problems for me newbie...]

Lars Schimmer schimmer@cg.cs.tu-bs.de
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:27:10 +0200

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] 2 problems for me newbie...
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:26:46 +0200
From: Lars Schimmer <schimmer@cg.cs.tu-bs.de>
To: Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
<414972A1.5010907@cg.cs.tu-bs.de> <414987DD.4080909@email.unc.edu>

Todd M. Lewis wrote:

| Lars Schimmer wrote:

|> user one
|> | It would be nice if you specify your 'i in ... do' a little.
|>
|> Yes, your right at all, more or less.
|> Lets see my volumes:
|> home
|> home.usera
|> home.userb
|> home.userc
|> home.userd
|>
|> And I want to release ALL volumes home.* in one command. Not by hand, it
|> should run automatic.
|

| Okay, I can imagine there might be a case when you need to release all
| the replicated volumes referenced below a certain mount point. But these
| look like users' home volumes. I don't think you want to replicate
| those. Each of them probably has a mount point in "home", but then you
| just have to release the replicated volume "home" if/when there are any
| changes to it (and presumably it only contains mount points for the
| other volumes).  Unless I'm being really forgetful -- which can happen
| this time of the morning -- I don't see why you would ever replicate
| users' home volumes, thus you should never have to release them.
|
|> I know I can set up a command in bosserver to run automatic like cron,
|> but I haven't found anything about RegEx, placeholders or wildcards in
|> the vos release command.
|> It would be nice for me if vos release home.* does the same like:
|> ~ for i in `ls /afs/cell/home/`;do vos release -id home.$i; done
|

| for i in `fs lsm /afs/@cell/home/* | \
|           grep 'is a mount point for' | \
|           cut -f8 -d' ' | \
|           sed s/[\'#%]//g`; do vos release -id $i; done;
|
| That's close. And ugly. And probably unnecessary for home volumes. I
| don't think you really want to do this.

Hmnm. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.
We set up afs and setup a volume for every users home.
And all these homes are mountet in a volume namend home.
And Yes I want to release ALL these home-volumes nested in the one
"home" volume.
This way we got RO copies of home and they are fast reactivated in case
of breakdown of the original home-volume.
So for now  for i in `ls /afs/cell/home/`;do vos release -id home.$i;
done DOES release all volumes we've got for homes, nothing more should
be done. But THIS I want to be done automatic without getting a token,
etc...
I know with bos install I can create a "cronjob" within the bosserver
for e.g. release some volumes (we release 3 volumes this way). But how
can we release all volumes with the name home.* within these cronjobs of
the bosserver?
I really like to have something like "vos release home.*" as a legit
command.
Yes, all homes are named home.XYZ and NO other volume is named home.XYZ

Cya
Lars

- --
Technische Universität Braunschweig, Institut für Computergraphik
Tel.: +49 531 391-2109            E-Mail: schimmer@cg.cs.tu-bs.de
PGP-Key-ID: 0xB87A0E03