[OpenAFS] newbie admin question

Paul Blackburn mpb@est.ibm.com
Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:22:55 +0100

I think this is simpler that you imagine.

AFS fileservers have partitions.
AFS partitions house AFS volumes.
AFS volumes are mounted (as you choose) under /afs/@cell/.
(Remember, it's AFS so the volumes all get mounted under /afs/).

You choose how many fileservers, partitions, volumes you need to use.

If you want to place a particular AFS volume in a partition of a
particular fileserver, you can do that.

You can move AFS volume "live" between fileservers with minimal impact
on users. Typically, users have no idea a volume is being moved.
Try doing that with NFS!

You might (and I personally think it's a good idea) to have dedicated
AFS fileservers which use RAID5 "below" the partitions.

In general, you get higher data availablility by having more fileservers
(ideally with identical hardware configurations). You can have a
"standby" fileserver used to off-load an active fileserver thus allowing
re-install/upgrade of the (previously) active fileserver. The "standby"
fileserver is also useful if you find hardware problems starting to
to appear on one of you active fileservers: you can move the AFS volumes
off the failing fileserver and onto the "standby" fileserver.

Wherever you have readonly (os mostly readonly) data you should use
AFS ReadOnly volume replication across two (or more) fileservers.
Certainly, the "principal" AFS volumes at the top of your AFS cell
should be replicated RO (eg root.afs, root.cell, root,othercells, etc)

HTH.
--
cheers
Paul Blackburn              http://acm.org/~mpb