[OpenAFS] 1.2.13 vs. 1.3.81

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Thu, 07 Apr 2005 03:44:14 -0400

We currently run 1.2.13 in production on the fileservers for the
umich.edu cell, but have now run up against two problems related to
callback logic of varying severity, which turn out to have fixes in
recent 1.3.x.  Our production staff is highly allergic to the idea of
running anything that has the description "unstable", like "unstable
development branch"; but I'm beginning to think that this is way
preferable to trying to backport fixes out of recent 1.3 to the 1.2
branch.

As it happens, we're having a meeting in less than 12 hours to discuss
all this, so I'm highly curious how people feel on this list: is
1.3.80/81 more stable than 1.2.13?  What do people actually run in
production?  Is there in fact any more work planned for the 1.2
branch?  Do you have any particular words of advice for our production
staff if they should be keen on continuing with 1.2.13 despite the
problems we've had?  Any thoughts on 1.3.80 vs. 1.3.81 vs. whatever?
(This will all be on linux / x86 hardware.)

	thanks for your thoughts,,,

				-Marcus Watts
				UM ITCS Umich Systems Group