[OpenAFS] RE: eliminating SuSE kernel rebuilds

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:54:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, ted creedon wrote:

> 1.3.81 does run just fine on about a dozen XP, 2K,2003K and Suse boxes.
>
> If at all possible, figuring out a way to eliminate kernel rebuilds would be
> desirable.

Assuming you're referring to the audit_putname problem, the problem you
had wasn't our bug. Get the vendor to fix their kernel.

Not all modules are GPL. Referring to GPLONLY symbols from non-GPLONLY
code is broken, and isn't supposed to happen.

> The unwary will eventually wind up with clients that don't work when the
> systems are rebooted and there will possibly be a flurry of help requests
> everytime a kernel update is published by SuSe.

Only if none of their customers reports the issue and asks them to fix it.
Have you?