[OpenAFS] Newbie

Esther Filderman Esther Filderman <mizmoose@gmail.com>
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:48:04 -0400

On 4/12/05, ed <ed@ednevitible.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> OpenAFS seems rather tricky, but I'm determined to get it operating
> locally.

AFS can have a sharp learning curve, but once you get the hang of it,
it's yummy stuff.

> OpenBSD seems to come with a OpenAFS client, by Arla, but is there a
> server on this platform?

Clients are harder to do than servers, because clients have to talk to
the kernel.

Arla is written and supported by the Arla folks, some of whom also
write and support OpenAFS.  Arla clients are OpenAFS compatible but
are missing a few features [like the ability to manipulate volumes].

There is definitely a NetBSD OpenAFS server port; if there isn't an
OpenBSD port I'd bet my monkey that the NetBSD port will work.

> Why does Linux kernel 2.6 have a readonly AFS client?

Uhhhh your Linux AFS client can't write to things?  Do you have some
authentication mechanism installed like, say, Kerberos?  Make sure you
have valid authentication, otherwise you cannot write.