[OpenAFS] openafs fileservers in VMware ESX

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:39:44 -0700

Here I just move my raid card and 4 drives.

Linux 2.6 doesn't have support for the older IDE raid cards. New systems
have soft raid which allows a drive only move. Its particularly easy with
sata drives.

tedc

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Rodney M Dyer
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 8:50 AM
To: Derek Atkins; Matthew Cocker
Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] openafs fileservers in VMware ESX

At 11:51 PM 4/20/2005, Derek Atkins wrote:
>I've never seen any reason to virtualize an AFS server.  Ever.  The key
>is IO bandwith, which isn't increased by virtualization.  You really
>want separate PHYSICAL servers for AFS servers.  Virtualization does
>not give you any benefits due to hardware failure, power failure, or
>any other failure.  It just adds overhead.

I agree.  I've never understood the "big honking box" syndrom.  It has
always seemed to me to be an indication of "Pointy Haired Bosses" being
marketed to that causes this situation.  The point of AFS is speed,
distribution, and scaleability, but you also get redundancy.  Putting an AFS
cell on a virtualized server is just IMHO...silly.  I can't see how in the
long run you save money with specialized boxes when server PCs from DELL,
which can be used for AFS file servers, cost less than $500 a pop.  Of
course if you go rack mount, things get more pricey, but still, compared to
some specialized box from a proprietary vendor?

Rodney