[OpenAFS] openafs fileservers in VMware ESX

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:50:24 -0400

At 11:51 PM 4/20/2005, Derek Atkins wrote:
>I've never seen any reason to virtualize an AFS server.  Ever.  The key is IO
>bandwith, which isn't increased by virtualization.  You really want separate
>PHYSICAL servers for AFS servers.  Virtualization does not give you any
>benefits due to hardware failure, power failure, or any other failure.  It
>just
>adds overhead.

I agree.  I've never understood the "big honking box" syndrom.  It has
always seemed to me to be an indication of "Pointy Haired Bosses" being
marketed to that causes this situation.  The point of AFS is speed,
distribution, and scaleability, but you also get redundancy.  Putting an
AFS cell on a virtualized server is just IMHO...silly.  I can't see how in
the long run you save money with specialized boxes when server PCs from
DELL, which can be used for AFS file servers, cost less than $500 a
pop.  Of course if you go rack mount, things get more pricey, but still,
compared to some specialized box from a proprietary vendor?

Rodney