[OpenAFS] definitive / up-to-date kerberos 5 migration information desired

Christopher Allen Wing wingc@engin.umich.edu
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 15:30:10 -0400 (EDT)

John:

If you want to preserve a little bit more of the metadata in the kaserver
database when converting to Kerberos 5, take a look at:

 	http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~wingc/openafs/dist/1.3.86/SOURCES/afs-krb5-2.0-betterka2dump.patch

this is a patch against 'afs2k5db' which does the following:

 	- preserves the semantics of the 'NOTGS' flag in ka entries

 	- preserves the 'password last changed' timestamp

 	- uses the correct value for password expiration time (0 means
 		never, not 2145830400)

You can also use the following script on top of that:

 	http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~wingc/openafs/dist/1.3.86/SOURCES/kas-kdb-merge.pl

which will merge back in the information about which user last modified a
given ka database entry. Otherwise this information will be lost when you
convert to krb5.

The script would be used as follows:

 	kas list -long >/tmp/kas_output.txt

 	afs2k5db /usr/afs/db/kasrver.0 >/tmp/krb5-dumpfile

 	./kas-kdb-merge.pl /tmp/krb5-dumpfile /tmp/kas-output.txt YOUR.REALM.NAME >/tmp/final-krb5-database

This is only important if you care about preserving as much information as
possible from the original kaserver database; you can use the unpatched
afs2k5db as-is without any problems.

-Chris Wing
wingc@engin.umich.edu