[OpenAFS] AFS client installation on Motorolla MVME6100 PowerPC

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Sun, 7 Aug 2005 20:45:05 +0200

On Aug 7, 2005, at 12:38 PM, Konstantin Boyanov wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> First thank you for replying.
> I can't get your point - first you say that "nobody ever compiled
> the AFS kernel module for that
> processor" (which is also my oppinion after a hard search through
> the net), and then you advise me to copy the kernel module into the
> boot image. Am I supposed to load the AFS client as a module?And
> excuse me for the lame question but how you define a place in the
> boot image as "appropriate"?

I wasn't sure what _your_ point was.
I couldn't distinguish if your problem was in compiling or getting
the kernel module onto the target or configuring the system.

Sorry for confusing you.

BTW, OpenAFS can only be compiled as a kernel module for Linux (not
built static into the kernel) and an appropriate place would be any
you like on the root filesystem. Sorry for the confusion again. I'm
used to transfer the root fs as well together with the boot image
onto the target and boot from flash or whatever there is. Stupid
wording mistake...
You can, of course, have your root fs somewhere else. (NFS, etc.)

For client functionality you need the kernel module, the "afsd"
deamon and a proper configuration (this means all configuration files).

Horst