[OpenAFS] 1.3.87 on Solaris 10 and weird NFS problem

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 19:09:55 -0500

I just downloaded and compiled the 1.3.87 source on Solaris 10 sparc
using the latest Sun Studio compiler.  Installed it and AFS appears to
work fine (both server and client.)

However, when attempting to NFS mount someting on this machine, the
machine panics and reboots almost immediately.

Alternately, I can first setup the NFS export and mount it (from a
Solaris 9 machine if the NFS client matters) without starting AFS
(removing the symlink in /etc/rc3.d) and as soon as I run the
/etc/init.d/afs script the machine reboots.

-----

Further testing shows that just loading the kernel module via modload
/kernel/fs/sparcv9/afs while NFS is mounted reboots the machine, so its
not an afsd or a server binary problem.

It would appear that AFS and NFS are mutually exclusive on this
machine...

-----

Even more testing has revealed that the libafs64.nonfs.o module works
just fine when the libafs64.o one does not.  This is very weird.  I can
only assume that this is due to some change in Solaris 10.

Am I going to run into weird NFS / AFS problems later on because I am
using the nonfs kernel module?  Can someone explain why there were two
seperate modules (nonfs and nfs) to begin with?

And for the record I had the same problem with 1.3.80, although I did
not test it as extensively so this is not likely due to a recent change.

<<CDC
Christopher D. Clausen
ACM@UIUC SysAdmin