[OpenAFS] Debian - openafs -noauth problems

Madhusudan Singh singh.madhusudan@gmail.com
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 22:01:01 -0400

Hi

	I was wondering if I could ask a few questions regarding AFS setup on Debian.
I am trying to follow the instructions
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openafs.xml?style=printable

in a Cell A, Realm B type setup.

# bos setcellname omega.domain.edu omega.domain.edu -noauth
bos: failed to set cell (you are not authorized for this operation)

I am running above as root.

But listhosts indicates that the Cellname is already set. (I confess to
setting up ThisCell and CellServDB correctly in /etc/openafs
and /etc/openafs/server).

# bos listhosts omega.domain.edu -noauth
Cell name is OMEGA.DOMAIN.EDU
    Host 1 is omega

My attempt to set cell name failed (bosserver is running). From what I
remember, usually a user named admin is created and added (both
in /etc/passwd as well as AFS) and that user alone (after aklog) is capable
of making changes without -noauth. However, I am starting from a pristine
install of Debian packages and have never set up any users before.

What does one do from here ? Even the AFSwiki instructions seem to involve a
lot of -noauth setup commands. And if I need to issue pts commands for adding
users, what credentials do I use ?

Thanks.