[OpenAFS] Debian - openafs -noauth problems

Frank Burkhardt fbo2@gmx.net
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:51:38 +0200

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 10:01:01PM -0400, Madhusudan Singh wrote:
> Hi
>
> 	I was wondering if I could ask a few questions regarding AFS setup on Debian.
> I am trying to follow the instructions
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openafs.xml?style=printable
>
> in a Cell A, Realm B type setup.
>
> # bos setcellname omega.domain.edu omega.domain.edu -noauth
> bos: failed to set cell (you are not authorized for this operation)
>
> I am running above as root.

Running it as root doesn't help as long as the bosserver wasn't started with
'-noauth'. Try this:

# /etc/init.d/openafs-fileserver stop
# /usr/sbin/bosserver -noauth

> What does one do from here ? Even the AFSwiki instructions seem to involve a
> lot of -noauth setup commands. And if I need to issue pts commands for adding
> users, what credentials do I use ?

There is a tool called pt_util for initially creating a PTDB-Database-file without
any tokens needed (The first space in the 3rd line is important!):

# cat /tmp/initial_ptdb
admin 128/20 1 -204 -204
system:administrators 130/20 -204 -204 -204
 admin 1
# pt_util -p /var/lib/openafs/db/prdb.DB0 -w < /tmp/initial_ptdb
#

After you've got the admin-account, you should use it to issue pts-commands.

Regards,

Frank