[OpenAFS] AFS client installation on Motorolla MVME6100 PowerPC

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:55:50 -0700

Assuming this is a standard Linux system - not an embedded system.
Recommend using a current release rev 1.3.85 or later.
I can e-mail the 3 referenced afs start scripts if needed. (from SuSE 9.3).
Notes below:

tedc

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Horst Birthelmer
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 6:19 AM
To: Konstantin Boyanov
Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] AFS client installation on Motorolla MVME6100 PowerPC

On Aug 10, 2005, at 2:32 PM, Konstantin Boyanov wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have installed the AFS client from the source on a MVME6100 Power
> PC, but I can get it working yet.
> When I type  /etc/rc.d/init.d/afs start I get the following error
> message:
>
> Failed to load AFS client, not starting AFS services.
>
>> tedc
>> Where is your server?
>> You need 3 scripts:
>> /etc/init.d/afs-server start;
>> /etc/init.d/afs-client start;
>> /etc/sysconfig/afs-client

This message sounds a lot like your kernel module is not loaded correctly.
I actually never looked at the current start scripts since I always have my
own.

The trivial solution to this is you do a "lsmod" to check if the kernel
module is there.

> What could be the reason for this? Here are the steps through I went:
>
> # ./configure --with-afs-sysname=ppc_linux24 --enable-transarc-paths #
> make # make dest

>>tedc make install; #makes the .ko kernel module and creates and populated
all the Transarc directories. You should observe the kernel module being
built - verify that it resides in /usr/vice/etc. No cp's are required.

> I copied the entire /motload directory, which appeared after the build
> in /usr/src/openafs-1.2.8/ppc_linux24/dest/root.client/usr/
> vice/etc, AND the asfd file to /usr/vice/etc, and the afs.rc file to
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/afs
>
> # cp -rp /usr/src/openafs-1.2.8/ppc_linux24/dest/root.client/usr/
> vice/etc/motload /usr/vice/etc
> # cp -p /usr/src/openafs-1.2.8/ppc_linux24/dest/root.client/usr/
> vice/etc/afs.rc /etc/rc.d/init.d/afs
> # cp -p /usr/src/openafs-1.2.8/ppc_linux24/dest/root.client/usr/
> vice/etc/afsd /usr/vice/etc
>
> According to the Manual from openafs.org, that should do to start the
> AFS client whit the command.
>
> # /etc/rc.d/init.d/afs start
>
> But it didn't. So can someone give me some ideas what I did wrong (or
> what I didn't do at all), or maybe how to get more detailed
> information about the errors ocurring?

Here's what I would do first to debug.
You locate the kernel module which should be in src/libafs/ MODLOAD<xxx> (it
should be called libafs<something>). Then after a reboot you load it by
hand, calling "insmod <module file name>", now you start the afs daemon by
starting src/afsd/afsd and maybe you want to use -debug -verbose parameters,
so you'll be able to see what's happening during initialization of afs.

>>tedc insmod /usr/vice/etc/libafs`uname-r`.ko #point to the .ko explicitly
otherwise it looks in /lib/modules/ and it is neither there yet nor has
depmod been run.

That should give you a running client.
Of course you need a working network, an afs cell and a proper configuration
of your client (CellServDB, ThisCell, cacheconfig and some servers :-) )

Horst