[OpenAFS] Crash testing OpenAFS

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:17:54 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of chas williams - CONTRACTOR
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 9:35 AM
To: ted creedon
Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Crash testing OpenAFS

ted, please answer my questions.

what is the network configuration?

>>hiawatha.home.ted-doris.fam 10.1.1.190 running AFS 1.2.11 client and
server Linux 2.6.11.. Hosting cell "bigcell"
>>nome.home.ted-doris.fam 10.1.1.193 running AFS 1.3.87 client and server
Linux 2.6.11..Hosting cell "home.ted-doris.fam"
>>denali.home.ted-doris.fam 10.1.1.100 running AFS Windows Client Debug
1.3.84 Win Server 2003
>>nome and hiawatha are connected thru a Linksys EZXS55W generic 100base T
switch. Full duplex.
>>Internal class C network with no firewalling.
>> cp -rpvf /afs/.bigcell/bar2 /afs/.home.ted-doris.fam/bar2 run on nome
crashes nome consistently. Where bar2 is a volume not a local directory.

what do you mean by crash?  this has never been clear to me.  does the
openafs client box (the one running the cp -rpv) lockup?

>>"Crash on nome " means Linux Operating system crash on "nome". I.e.
"lockup". No response to keyboard, mouse or ssh. Sometimes ping 10.1.1.193
produces a reply, sometimes not.
>>"Crash on denali" means Windows server does not respond (this not an issue
with 1.3.87, just a comment that whatever caused it in 1.3.84 has been
corrected).

 does it simply stop copying?
>>Yes. And there are no rx packets from hiawatha, hiawatha is unaffected.

 if it locks up are there messages on the console that say something about
an "oops"?

>>No messages on xterm or in /var/log/messages.

what happens when you copy the generated directory tree from one local
volume to another local volume (both source and destination volumes are
located on you local afs fileserver running 1.3.87 on your local network).

In message <20050815161440.3390EC2C7@smtpauth.easystreet.com>,"ted creedon"
wri
tes: