[OpenAFS] 1.4.1-rc2 Mac File Oddities

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 18:28:51 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Mike Bydalek wrote:

> I tried 1.4.1-rc2 on both Linux and Windows clients, and it didn't have any
> effect on the problem at hand.  What I did notice was that the problem came
> into play as soon as Windows modified the file.  The only thing I could see
> on the server was that it changed the permissions to 777 from 640.  As soon
> as that happened, the Mac client wasn't able to see the file without
> completely restarting OpenAFS.

Finder is being dumb. There's goo in the afs client to lie about file
modes to avoid that but perhaps we should talk to apple about it. I
suppose after I see what they do with the ticket I have open, I'll open
another.

> Just to be thorough, I upgrading the server to 1.4.1-rc2 as well, which
> didn't seem to affect this problem at all, and actually made the entire test
> network worse.  There's a huge delay with the Windows clients, and a minor
> one with the Linux clients when first connecting to an AFS directory.  I'm
> not sure what I can do to troubleshoot this as there's no errors in any logs.

Well, you could tcpdump to see what's happening. I would have expected no
change.