[OpenAFS] Trouble setting up first server on FreeBSD 6.0

Tony Shadwick - OSS Solutions tshadwick@oss-solutions.com
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 17:29:06 -0600 (CST)

I've been reading about OpenAFS for about a year, and administering
FreeBSD servers full time for over 4 years now (wow! Been that long...),
and I've been wanting something to combat the "roaming profiles" that
windows provides, and it seems that OpenAFS would do the trick.  Here's
what I have so far:

The server I have set up is approx 3Ghz P4 with 2GB RAM, and a mirrored
hardware SATA RAID with 200GB of available storage.  I've set up a pretty
typical server install using about 15GB of that space, with mountpoints /,
/etc, /var, /tmp, and swap.  The intent was to use the rest as OpenAFS
space, eventually housing /home for some Mac mini's in a call center.
This may eventually grow to replicate files at other locations, but
starting small here.

I've downloaded both the binaries and the sources, but I'm not clear on
where it all goes.  Generally speaking, sources provide "make install" to
set things up for you, or singular statically compiled binaries to place
in /usr/local.  This is neither, and I can't find any instructions.

The documentation goes on about compiling your kernel to support OpenAFS,
but after grepping for afs references, I've come up empty.  So where do I
need to go from here?

(BTW, I would have searched the archives more thoroughly, but there
doesn't appear to be any search functionality for the archives!)

Tony Shadwick
OSS Solutions