[OpenAFS] a familiar problem compiling aklog?

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:44:51 -0500

>In file included from /usr/local/include/krb5.h:2550,
>                  from aklog_main.c:62:
>/sources/openafs-1.4.0/include/afs/com_err.h:15: error: parse error before
>"afs_int32"

I know about the problem; I don't know what to do about it.

The basic problem is that OpenAFS & Kerberos 5 both provide com_err libraries
and include files.  Most of the time this doesn't matter.  It _does_ matter
when you have a program that wants to link from both sets of libraries ...
like aklog.

I tried fiddling around with compiler options and other things.  What I
discovered is that one thing that works on some platforms makes things
break when it is done on other platforms.  Even when you _do_ manage to
compile aklog successfully, half of the time you get the "wrong" com_err
library so most of the error messages end up reported as numbers instead
of the error string.

Something needs to be done so programs can be linked in a sane manner when
linking both AFS and Kerberos libraries.  I don't know what that something
is, though.

--Ken