[OpenAFS] a familiar problem compiling aklog?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:17:02 -0800

Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

> I know about the problem; I don't know what to do about it.

> The basic problem is that OpenAFS & Kerberos 5 both provide com_err
> libraries and include files.  Most of the time this doesn't matter.  It
> _does_ matter when you have a program that wants to link from both sets
> of libraries ...  like aklog.

> I tried fiddling around with compiler options and other things.  What I
> discovered is that one thing that works on some platforms makes things
> break when it is done on other platforms.  Even when you _do_ manage to
> compile aklog successfully, half of the time you get the "wrong" com_err
> library so most of the error messages end up reported as numbers instead
> of the error string.

> Something needs to be done so programs can be linked in a sane manner
> when linking both AFS and Kerberos libraries.  I don't know what that
> something is, though.

The right thing to do, I think, would be to add an option to AFS to build
with the system com_err library rather than its own.  That way it can
either reuse the Kerberos com_err library or both it and Kerberos can use
some other system library (like the one from e2fsprogs that most Linux
distributions use).