[OpenAFS] Re: why did I have to "vos create" twice on new cell setup? root.afs vs root.cell?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:58:23 -0500

Adam Megacz <megacz@cs.berkeley.edu> writes:

> I guess this means that you can stick actual files in the top-level
> /afs/ (though they're only visible in your own cell, right)?  I guess
> that would be a bad idea, though.  Sort of kills the whole "shared
> global namespace" thing.

Yes, you could put files into root.afs (/afs), but yes, it would
only be visible to clients in your cell that do NOT use dynroot.

> Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
>> it would have, but you'd have to tell afsd -rootvol festering.elephant
>
> That was the other 50%.  So "root.afs" is the default for "-rootvol",
> while the string "root.cell" is actually has special meaning for AFS.

Well, yes and no.  root.afs is "special" to dynroot clients, but
not normal clients.  For normal clients they only mount the -rootvol
volume and follow links down from there.  You could still mount
"concrete pants" in your root.afs volume and non-dynroot clients will
see it just fine.  But dynroot clients wont.

So basically, yes, root.afs and root.cell are "special", sort of.

> Thanks!

-derek