[OpenAFS] Re: why did I have to "vos create" twice on new cell setup? root.afs vs root.cell?

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:47:47 -0800

Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> writes:
> Yes, these two ARE "magic" volumes.  The former, root.afs, is what
> gets mounted at /afs (unless you're using dynroot).

Ah, okay, that was 50% of what I was missing.  Before there was
dynroot I was just an AFS user (had never seen the admin side of
things) -- it never occurred to me that the contents of /afs were
actually a filesystem.

I guess this means that you can stick actual files in the top-level
/afs/ (though they're only visible in your own cell, right)?  I guess
that would be a bad idea, though.  Sort of kills the whole "shared
global namespace" thing.

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
> it would have, but you'd have to tell afsd -rootvol festering.elephant

That was the other 50%.  So "root.afs" is the default for "-rootvol",
while the string "root.cell" is actually has special meaning for AFS.

Thanks!

  - a