[OpenAFS] a familiar problem compiling aklog?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:34:48 -0800

Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

>> I think at this point every com_err library has diverged from every
>> other com_err library.  I'm not at all sure which com_err library out
>> there is "best" at this point; the one in e2fsprogs is probably the
>> most reliable in terms of backward compatibility,

> ... and no doubt is the least commonly available :-)

It's actually far and away the most widely used on Linux, but yeah, on
other platforms not so much.  :)

>> but the one in krb5 is probably the best when it comes to thread safety
>> issues.

> I am not sure if the thread safety issues were real or imagined.  The
> only locking done now in the AFS com_err library is in
> add_new_error_table().  Are two threads ever adding error tables
> simultaneously?

There are two places where com_err needs thread safety: adding new error
tables, and reporting unknown errors.  Neither is particularly common,
really.