[OpenAFS] Re: 1.4.1-rc2 feedback

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 23:19:48 +0100

On Dec 13, 2005, at 10:56 PM, Christopher D. Clausen wrote:

> Is there a way to restart the bosserver process WITHOUT first
> stopping all other AFS server processes (and thus causing
> downtime?)  I really don't like to wait for a salvage or have to
> vos move everything to another server.  Or, is there any
> disadvantage to NOT restarting the bosserver process (other than
> the auto-restart if something else crashes and using the bos
> command to control things.)  And, if something else did crash
> (likely ptserver,) can it be manually restarted without using
> bosserver?

No. There is no way that I know of for the bosserver to be restarted
without stopping the other services as well.
That would be a little hard to accomplish, anyway.

You can run any of the servers 'by hand'. The problem is you can't
manage those services over the network.
I have problems with the bosserver on my Solaris 10 box as well
... and I'm running the current CVS head. That's one of my test
machines, so I'm not really complaining ;-)

I didn't have the time to look deeper into it. Yesterday it looked
like the bosserver didn't realize that the salveger or any other
process terminated and therefore didn't start any of the other
services like fileserver and volserver. The salvager terminated
regularly and wrote a 'normal' log but the bosserver was still
telling 'salvaging filesystem', and that's about it.

Horst