[OpenAFS] Re: 1.4.1-rc2 feedback

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 14:36:57 -0800

Christopher D Clausen <cclausen@acm.org> writes:

> Are you by chance running on a single processor system?  I had all kinds
> of problems using an Ultra 60 with a single proc.  Not sure if that was
> the issue, but I'm going to assume that just about everyone running
> Solaris on sparc isn't using single-proc machines.

Not a particularly good assumption.  We run several file servers on
single-processor Solaris 8 systems.  (Eventually we'll move to Linux, but
I don't know when.)

However, we're running into some problems with file server crashes on
Solaris 8 with 1.4.0 as well.  We're currently working on figuring out
what's going on.

> Is there a way to restart the bosserver process WITHOUT first stopping
> all other AFS server processes (and thus causing downtime?)  I really
> don't like to wait for a salvage or have to vos move everything to
> another server.

You shouldn't have to salvage if you do a clean restart with bos restart
-bosserver.  The only delay is breaking callbacks and attaching volumes.
(Which admittedly isn't always fast.)

> Or, is there any disadvantage to NOT restarting the bosserver process
> (other than the auto-restart if something else crashes and using the bos
> command to control things.)

Those are really the advantages of using bosserver.  Personally, I think
having the bos command suite is fairly important.  :)

> And, if something else did crash (likely ptserver,) can it be manually
> restarted without using bosserver?

Yes.

If you wanted to, you could run everything under something like
daemontools.  You just wouldn't get the network management.