[OpenAFS] directories in afs have "owners"?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 19:55:44 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, Adam Megacz wrote:

> Hrm, this is strange.  I thought there was no concept of
> file/directory "ownership" in AFS (only "a" rights as a
> psuedo-equivalent).
>
> But I was reading through the user guide and came across this:
>
>  http://www.openafs.org/pages/doc/UserGuide/auusg009.htm#HDRWQ78
>
> What does "...you own the directory..." mean?  This can't possibly be
> the faked-up UNIX owner uid

You have a strange definition of "can't", one which I am more or less
unfamiliar with.

> -- those don't match up with PTS ids.  But

Just because your OS chooses to render it as unix uid 10, why would afs
not be able to enforce the owner as someone authenticated as a user which
mapped to pts id 10.... or, for that matter, if it were owned by uid
"-10", by pts group -10?

> if that isn't the case, how do I display and modify this extra

If wishes were trees....

Derrick