[OpenAFS] Re: Openafs-1.4.0; Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.1.EL; kernel module compile error

Tony D'Amato tdamato@odu.edu
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:20:56 -0500

> Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> writes:
> > Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:
>
> >> As I mentioned in private e-mail, you're barking up the wrong tree
> >> here.  Your kernel headers won't compile *period*, which is why rlim
> >> isn't found.  Every configure check that attempts to use kernel headers
> >> is failing due to errors in the kernel headers themselves.
>
> > Is this some known problem with 2.6 on ppc?  or is it some
> > disto-specific issue?
>
> I think it's distro-specific at least to the degree that I think people
> are running OpenAFS 1.4.0 on PPC in Debian and haven't had this problem,
> but I don't think Debian ever paused specifically at 2.6.9.  So it could
> also be kernel-specific.

Just a thought, but one thing the person may want to try is to make sure
they're using the same gcc to compile the OpenAFS modules that was used
to compile the GNU/Linux kernel... I just ran into the "#error Not sure
what to do about rlim" message on a Thinkpad upgraded to Debian
testing/unstable. I realized that it was using the default gcc to
compile (4.0.2), so when I added

MAKEFLAGS="CC=gcc-3.3"

in front of the make-kpkg command, the error went away and the module
compiled fine.

--
Tony D'Amato
Senior UNIX Systems Administrator